Friday, April 4, 2014

Homemade Taco Seasoning

So I'm getting ready to make enchiladas and realize, "Crap, I forgot to buy taco seasoning."  I start trying to decide if I can talk Drew into stopping for some on his way home from work so I don't have to.  Then I remember, "Didn't I pin a taco seasoning recipe a few months ago??"  I grab my phone and search for the pin.  Found it!  I scan the ingredients and check my spice drawer.  Yep, I have everything!  I whipped up a small batch and used it.  Guess what?  It was fantastic!  I've used this recipe in with beef (enchiladas) and chicken (quesadillas).  I think it has great flavor and tastes way better than any of the little packets  you buy at the store.  Plus, since I already had everything on hand, it seemed like I was getting seasoning for free!

Ingredients:
1 part chili powder
1 part onion powder
1 part cumin powder
1 part garlic powder
1/4 part red pepper flakes


My "parts" were teaspoons.  When I mixed my batch, I alternated 1 teaspoon of each ingredient (and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper) until the jar was full.


It's like those jars of colored sand you buy a beach souvenir shops, except with spices.


Next just screw the lid back on and shake it up!


When cooking, I usually use 1-2 teaspoons of the mixture, depending on how much food I'm seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment