Tuesday, March 31, 2015

60 Things To Do Besides Watch TV

I'm on this journey to kick my TV addiction and redirect that time to doing other things.  My first step was to go through all of the shows I currently have on my DVR and delete anything that I could live without.  Drew and I went from recording 49 different shows to 23.  (Read more about that process here.)

My new rule is:


I record all of the shows that I really enjoy and are important to me.  This will help me avoid going into zombie-mode.  With this method, my TV viewing should cut down from about 5.5 hours each day to maybe 2 - a show on my own and a show with Drew.  I need to be prepared with a list of things to do with this freed-up time, or I'll fall back into the same trap.  Y'all know I'm all about a list ('bout that list, 'bout that list, no randomness).
 
  1. Read a book - Make sure to have some on hand that you have really been wanting to read as an extra incentive
  2. Play with the pups
  3. Ride my bike
  4. Go for a run
  5. Practice yoga
  6. Cook up something yummy
  7. Study your Bible
  8. Take a long bubble bath
  9. Practice photography
  10. Clean out the closet
  11. Plan a yard sale with everything you just purged from the closet
  12. Take on a home improvement project - I keep of list of projects on my phone that I could choose from
  13. Weed the yard
  14. Trim the hedges
  15. Clean out the attic
  16. Clean out the garage
  17. Take a walk
  18. Put a puzzle together
  19. Play a board game
  20. Compile a photobook
  21. Go shopping
  22. Sew - I have a basket full of items that need work
  23. Knit
  24. Deep clean my car
  25. Do a digital deep clean - delete old files, update software, etc
  26. Write a blog post
  27. Call my grandmas
  28. Visit a craft store and pick up whatever speaks to you!
  29. Listen to music and do nothing else
  30. Take a creative class - cupcake decorating, photography, etc.
  31. Learn an instrument (or relearn if you've gotten a little rusty)
  32. Volunteer
  33. Plan a vacation
  34. Take a dance lesson
  35. Give the pups a bath
  36. Write in a journal
  37. Write a list of goals
  38. Take a free online class
  39. Practice a new hair or makeup look
  40. Clean your fridge
  41. Teach the pups a new trick
  42. Do a Pinterest project
  43. Do a social media cleanse - delete anyone that brings negativity to your newsfeed
  44. Take a new fitness class at the gym
  45. Plan and iron your outfits for the week
  46. Rearrange your kitchen cabinets
  47. Comment on a blog post your really enjoyed
  48. Plant a garden
  49. Be a tourist in your hometown
  50. Have a picnic
  51. Fix that "thing" in your house that's been driving you nuts
  52. Do something you've never done before
  53. Go to a new restaurant
  54. Do something nice for someone else
  55. Babysit a friends' kids so they can have the night off
  56. Do a crossword or Sudoku puzzle
  57. Go to the park
  58. Create a blessing bag 
  59. Shop for items to donate to a local school or animal shelter (or both!)
  60. Take a nap
Whew!  I think this list is enough to keep me busy for a little while, don't you?  This list is pretty specific to me, so I encourage you to make your own lists.  Any time I find myself without anything to watch on TV, I can easily refer to this list and find something to fill that time.  And the thing is, I'm sure any one of these things will bring more joy to my life than another episode of House Hunters.

What is your favorite thing to do besides watch TV?  

No comments:

Post a Comment