Monday, March 30, 2015

The Purge

So a few days ago, I mentioned that my goal in April is to watch less TV and be more selective about the shows I watch.  I don't know about you, but I hardly ever watch "live" TV.  I DVR everything.  If there's nothing already recorded that I want to watch, I flip to Netflix.  So the first step in my journey to less TV is to sort through the list of shows I record and delete anything I can.  Then, if there is something on the DVR, it's going to be something I really enjoy watching.  If there isn't anything, instead of turning to Netflix, I have to find something else to do:  read a book, play with the pups, go outside, etc.  Anything but watch TV.



I thought it would be fun to share the list of shows I have currently on my DVR list and sort through them together.  Just no judging, okay?  Let's get started.

My "Series Manager" has 49 shows.  Who needs to watch 49 shows?  Apparently I do.  Ooops.

1.  The Walking Dead - This one is Drew's; better not touch it.
2.  Doctor Who - My favorite show ever.  It's staying.
3.  Ray Donovan - Another of Drew's shows.
4.  Big Brother - This only comes on once a year, and I usually enjoy it.  It can stay for now...
5.  Project Runway - I've watched this show for years, but I could probably live without it.  Delete.
6. Hard Knocks:  Training Camp - Drew's.
7.  The Mindy Project - Mindy Kaling is a genius, and I love her.  Staying.
8.  Catfish:  The TV Show - This was really good the first season but has kind of lost its magic.  Delete.
9.  Bones:  A favorite.  Keep.
10.  SEC Storied - Drew's
11. Grey's Anatomy - This is one of those I wish they'd cancel.  I've watched it since the first season, so at this point I'm invested.  Keep for now.
12.  Awkward.  - I really enjoy this one and it's about to run its final season.  Keep.
13.  Glee - Well since it just ended, I can easily delete this one.  Lucky me.
14.  Once Upon a Time - Probably my 2nd favorite show.  Definitely keep.
15.  The Goldbergs - Drew and I watch this one together.  It's hilarious.  Keep.
16.  Agents of SHIELD - Drew's
17.  Project Runway All Stars - No Heidi, No Tim, No Nina.  Why do I watch this one?  Delete.
18.  Grimm - This one just gets weirder and weirder.  I could probably live without it.  Delete.
19.  Talking Dead - Drew's (You can't have Walking Dead without Talking Dead, right?)
20.  Rehab Addict - I enjoy it.  Keep for now.
21.  The Following - I could definitely live without this one, but Drew's still into it.  Keep.
22. The Little Couple - They're so fun to watch, but I could probably live without them.  Goodbye Jen and Bill, and Will and Zoey.  Delete.
23.  Game of Thrones - Not even a question.  Keep.
24.  Teen Mom 2 - Is this even on anymore?  Also, I don't think I can name one of them...  Delete.
25.  Faking It - Funny show, but I mostly watch it because of Awkward.  I'll reevaluate this one when the new season airs.
26.  Fargo - Drew's
27.  Food Network Star - Delete
28.  Constantine - Drew's
29.  Girl Meets World - It's a cute show, but I only watch this out of sentiment for Boy Meets World.  Delete.
30.  The Strain - This one was so weird and terrible.  Delete.
31.  Southern at Heart - I love this cooking show, but I could probably do without it.  I've never made anything from any of the episodes, so... Delete.
32.  Hard Knocks:  Training Camp - Didn't we already see this ones?
33.  Sons of Anarchy - Drew's
34.  The Flash - Drew's
35.  Agent Carter - Drew's
36.  Reign - This is one I found on Netflix.  It's really good, but I don't love it, you know.  Delete.
37.  Fixer Upper - I need to do some thinking on this one.  I follow Jo's blog, so I could probably delete.  I'm just not sure.  Still thinking.
38.  Figure Skating - Let's be real.  I only watch this for Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski.  Delete.
39.  Expedition Unknown - This is a really fun show that Drew and I watch together.  Keep.
40.  Flip or Flop - It's a fun show, but I could live without it.  Delete.
41.  Better Call Saul - Drew's
42.  The Pioneer Woman - I like this show and have actually made a few of her recipes.  But I think they are all on her blog too.  I could probably delete this one.
43.  Teen Mom - Keep.  (Hey, I said no judging)
44.  Love, Lust, or Run - Delete.
45.  Dancing with the Stars - Delete.
46.  My Dog Ate What?  - Do I really need to know?  Delete.
47.  Aloha Vet - This show is so cute.  It stays for now.
48.  Wild Hawaii - This one didn't turn out to be what I expected. Delete.
49.  Cesar 911 - Delete.

Whew.  That's a lot of shows.  12 of these are exclusively Drew's.  Probably 7 of them are shows we watch together.  That means 30 of them are all mine.  If I delete the one's I could live without, that leaves 17 shows that are mine or mine & Drew's.  That's a pretty good chunk of shows gone.

Update:  Drew and I went back through the list and deleted a few more.  We're at 23 total shows in our Series Manager.  Awesome!

What are your favorite shows?  Have you ever done a TV purge?


No comments:

Post a Comment