Sunday, January 19, 2014

Christmas Storage Solutions



Our Christmas things have outgrown the storage container we've been using for the past years.  Don't believe me?  Take a look. 


 Kind of ridiculous, huh?  My first step was to get everything out of the box and start sorting through it.


 We had been keeping all of our shatterproof ornaments in their original packaging.  It wasn't really practical and was super bulky.  Plus, I hated popping them in and out of that plastic.  I decided to put them into zipper Ziploc bags instead.  This eliminates the bulky packaging and since the bags don't have a hard shape, I can back them away easier.


I also made labels for each bag.  Obviously, with the bags being clear, I don't need to read them the labels to know what's in each one.  Instead, the labels will be used to pack everything back up next year.


To make the labels, I used some Avery labels that I already had.  I downloaded the template from the Avery website into Microsoft Word.  The Christmas lights I found by Googling "Christmas borders."  I copied this one, resized it, and pasted it onto each label.  I used word art to add text.

Next, I needed new containers.  I picked up two 21-gallon Rubbermaid containers in Christmas colors from Walmart.  The red and green will allow Drew to quickly pick out the Christmas decorations in the attic.

In one container, I put all of my our tree decorations:  ornaments, toppers, and mesh.  In the other, I put everything else:  lights and things we set out.  The latter has plenty of room to add more stuff in the future.

I also grabbed an ornament storage box.  I only put our keepsake ornaments in this.  I can separate everything, so nothing will move around and get broken.


I went back later and added labels to the outside of each of the bins.  Drew's excited about how much smaller these bins are, which will make it easier to get them in and out of the attic.  I'm excited about how much more organized this system is and how everything is protected.  And did I mention I threw away three, three!, bags of trash.

How do you store your Christmas decorations?  Any tips to share?  Let us know below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment