Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Experience Changing My Name


Changing your name can be a daunting task.  I've changed my name twice.  I changed my last name when I got married and my first name in 2013.  I hope that sharing my experience will help you get through the process painlessly.

If you're changing your last name due to marriage, all you need is your marriage license.  If you desire to change your first name, you'll have to get an attorney involved.  I went to my attorney's office and signed some paperwork requesting my name be changed.  She took it before a judge, who approved the change.  Drew had to sign something too, acknowledging that I was changing my name.  About a week later, I was mailed the paperwork.

First Things First
Take your marriage license or court paperwork to the Social Security Office.  Both times I met with a representative who asked me some basic questions as I applied for new cards in my new name.  It took a couple of weeks for my new card to come in.

Then I went to the DMV  to get a new driver's license.  I showed them my marriage license/court papers and the piece of paper I got from the SS Office.

Make A List
Make a list of every company you need to change your name with.  Be specific.  Don't just say "credit cards."  Write out each account specifically, and mark through each item as you complete it.  Here's a sample of my list, as well as the procedure for changing your name with each.

Even though I said earlier to be specific, I've generalized my list to be able to share it with you.

  • House Deed and Loan - If you already own a home, you'll need to file a quitclaim deed to change your name on both your deed and loan.  File it at the local courthouse and send a copy to your loan officer.  (I'm still in the process of doing this myself, so I'll edit based on how things go!)
  • Bank Accounts - I just went to each bank, told them I needed to change my name on my account, and signed some paperwork.  Just make sure to take anyone with you who is also on the account.  Since I'm on my parents' account and my mom was on my account, they both had to sign paperwork to, acknowledging the change.  
  • Credit Cards - My accounts were already under my preferred first name, so I only had to change my last name.  For one account, I was able to change it online, by selecting I needed a name change after marriage. For the other, I called customer service and told them I had gotten married and needed to change the name on my account.  I received new cards in about a week.
  • Employer - To change my  name with my employer, HR made a copy of my new social security card and made all the necessary changes.  I also made a call to IT so they could transfer my username and email address.
  • Benefits - I checked each company's website for procedures to change your name.  For some, I could easily make the change online.  For others, I had to fill our a form and send in a copy of my new social security card.
  • Travel Accounts - On my Delta Sky Miles account, I had to fax a letter requesting the name be changed, along with my Sky Miles Number and a copy of my social security card.  On my Avis account, I can't remember if I changed in online or called, or both.  For my account with the travel agency, I could easily change my name on my online profile.  (I travel a lot for work, so these changes were necessary.)
  • Magazines & Social Media Sites - Trivial?  Yes.  But seeing my new name on these things made me smile.  Just log onto each account and change it on your profile.  Pretty easy.
A few other places you should considers are:
  • Vehicle Title and Loan
  • Other Insurances:  car, home, etc.
I suggest carrying around your marriage license/court papers and new social security for a little while.  This way you'll have the necessary documentation if an occasion arises.

I am by no means an expert on this topic.  I just wished to share my experience with making changes on various accounts.  I wish you the best of luck!

What experiences have you had with changing your name?  Is there something I left off of this list that should be added?  Tell me all about it below, in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment