Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Baked Penne


This is a simple recipe that's all over Pinterest.  I think most people call it "two-timing pasta," but that name doesn't really make sense to me.  Around here we call it baked penne, and we eat it often!  It reminds me of the baked ziti dish at Olive Garden.  The pasta has a lot of cheese it in, but the tomato sauce balances it out.  It's a heavy dish, but a favorite at our house.

This is a great dish for feeding crowds, but usually it's just Drew and me.  Sometimes I make a full batch of this, and separate it into 3 aluminum baking tins to freeze.  Other times I will make only half the batch.  We'll eat the leftovers the next day.  I'll use the other half of the tomato sauce for spaghetti or chicken parm and the other half of the Alfredo sauce for chicken Alfredo.  Both are great options for extending your groceries.

Effort Level:  Medium
Prep Time:  30 minutes
Cook Time:  30 minutes
Serving Size:  10 generous servings

Ingredients:
1 box penne noodles
1 jar tomato-based sauce (I use Bertolli Five Cheese Sauce)
1 jar Alfredo sauce (I use Bertolli Garlic Alfredo Sauce)
3-4 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
1-2 cups of shredded Parmesan cheese
*On this recipe especially, I just eye-ball everything.  Depending on how cheesy you want your dish, add more or less cheese.

Cooking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Cook penne noodles on stove top until al dente.  In a large mixing bowl, stir together other ingredients.  When pasta is finished cooking, drain and stir in sauce mixture.  Transfer mixture to a baking dish.  Bake about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.




1 comment:

  1. I have made this numerous times!! We love it and it is a great dish to take to Church Fellowship!

    ReplyDelete